Sunday, July 21, 2013

The House On Mango Street


The House On Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is the story of a young girl in search of home, both literally and figuratively. Esperanza looks to the women in and around the life she has in her small neighborhood in search of the person she wants to become. From her mother to the neighbor who never leaves her house, there are different types of women everywhere she looks. As she observes their lives, she learns what she wants and what she doesn't want in her own life. But can she ever find a sense of home in an environment where there is no one to show her how to be the woman she wants to become?

This is a complex story, told in a way that makes it possible to flip to any chapter and understand what is happening. The focus in this story is all about the women. Some women are shown positively, but most are shown in a negative manner. This could be the intent of the story. Esperanza sees what characteristics are important in life and explains them in a very honest manner. This is a novel worth delving into a discussion over.

Here are two links about the book. The first is an interview with Sandra Cisneros. The second is a link directly to the author's website for more information on her and her works.

Interview with Sandra Cisneros

Sandra Cisneros Website


And finally, a video interview with Sandra Cisneros about the book itself:


2 comments:

  1. I'm assuming that you've read the books you blog about, and that's very good :) but I personally would like to hear more about what you as a reader think. What you have so far, honestly, just feels like it came from a summary on Amazon or B&N's websites. What moved you when you read the story? What characters did you like, why? Lets hear what THIS author has to say about what she's reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're correct. I have read each book I've blogged about. I've kept my personal opinion out of my posts (and come up with my own summary and overview) because I don't want to keep others from reading the book and forming their own opinion based soley upon whether I liked the book or not. Considering I am planning on sharing this blog with future students, I want them to do their research and decide on whether the book is something they would appreciate. Trust me, doing the blog in this manner has been quite a challenge for me. I want to put my opinion in; however, I also don't want to unconsciously sway my audience.

      Delete